Southern Mom Loves: Homemade Sugar Scrub Recipe for the Softest Skin Ever!

Homemade Sugar Scrub Recipe for the Softest Skin Ever!

Saturday, March 1, 2014


I went to an event at my son's school about 8 or 9 years ago where they also had vendors with tables set up to browse their products. One lady had a big bowl, towels, and bottles of water and I was curious. She was selling a product called Instant Manicure, but I don't remember the company. She put some of this scrubby stuff on my hands and had me rub them together. She rinsed me off over the bowl, patted my hands dry, and gave me some lotion to rub on. I was amazed! My hands were softer and smoother than they'd ever been and I ordered from her on the spot!

Maybe it was just me, but I had never heard of a salt or a sugar scrub. This stuff was gold! Since, I've seen them everywhere, often for exorbitant amounts for exotic sugars or salts. Well people, you can make this yourself, and probably with things you already have around the house and in the kitchen. There are a ton of homemade recipes out there, but this is mine, and it is super-simple.





Homemade Sugar scrub recipe for the softest skin ever! Supplies

You need:

1. A container - You can re-use just about any jar (make-up, moisturizers, even candles), or buy cute ones from Hobby Lobby or Michael's and give them as gifts. To re-use a candle jar, finish the candle and heat the jar up under hot water, wipe out the wax residue, then wash it.

2. A spoon - I'm pretty sure everybody's got at least one of these ;)

3. Sugar - Plain white sugar is fine, and is what I use, but some people also use brown sugar or a mix of the two. You can also substitute Epsom Salts, or Dead Sea salts or whatever you have around. (I don't know why I wrote that. Who has Dead Sea salts lying around??? If it's you, leave me a comment and please tell me why.)

4. An Oil - I use Extra Virgin Olive Oil, but you can also use Sunflower Oil, Grapeseed Oil, Almond Oil, Coconut Oil (liquid), or any other oil safe for skincare.

5. (Optional) Fragrance Oil - This is totally optional, but I use fragrance oils in mine. It makes my hands smell wonderful whenever I use it, and that makes me squee. I get mine from Candle Science, but be careful and order the oils for Bath & Body and not for Candles. You can also use herbs or a mix of the two to customize your scent and the herbs help exfoliate! Example: You've got lavender oil; add some dried rosemary and Voila! Rosemary-Lavender scented scrub. If you have brown sugar and some Vanilla Extract, that would smell wonderful too. Keep an open mind; your spice cabinet is your friend. Cinnamon-Vanilla, Pumpkin Pie Spice, Sage, and Nutmeg jump to mind.

Note: I keep lots of different Fragrance Oils around because I also make my own custom-scented liquid laundry detergent. Post here.

1. Fill your container about 3/4 full of sugar. Size doesn't matter. You can make as much or as little as you like.

Homemade Sugar scrub recipe sugar

2. Pour in oil so that you fill about half of the remaining space. Let it soak down for a little while or it might get super-messy.

Homemade Sugar scrub recipe oil

3. You can add in your fragrance at this time. I might start with 8-10 drops and up it from there to your preferred scent strength.

Homemade Sugar scrub recipe fragrance

4. Stir. If all of the sugar didn't get saturated, add a little more oil and let it soak in, but you don't want it too oily. It should be a scrub of sugar that leaves behind a bare layer of the oil for moisture.

Homemade Sugar scrub recipe texture

That's it! Couldn't be easier.

finished Homemade Sugar scrub recipe

To use: Scoop about a teaspoon into your hands, add a little warm water and rub it around like you're washing your hands. Rinse, pat dry gently, and then use a moisturizer. It will give you the softest hands. You can also use it in the shower as a body scrub. Enjoy!





You Might Also Like

0 comments

Video of the day